Friday, September 28, 2012

Okra in spicy gravy


Coming from north of India , could never imagine okra in any form but crispy , that's how my Mum always made it. Later as I traveled , I did sometimes see okra in gravy but never had the courage to taste it.

In Delhi friends often used to meet for potluck dinners. For one such dinner  one of my friends made veg. biryani and Okra in gravy. I didn't hesitate to taste it coz I trusted my friend's culinary expertise. You will not believe me that Okra in gravy was delicious.
Now my mission was to make it at home . Armed with the recipe, very confidently I tried it and what a disaster it was. That put a full stop to my tryst with Okra in gravy.

Many years later while making Sprouted Biryani I was wondering what to pair it with. I remembered  my earlier disaster, but having matured as a cook ,I decided to tackle it all over again and am proud to say I could create a dish as tasty as my friend's .

I dedicate it to my friend. Rashmi , this one is for you.
















Ingredients :     Serves 4
Okra. 250 gms 
Oil. 
 Asafoetida
3tbsp
a pinch
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Whole red chilly.  6
Curry leaves.  20
Onion ( finely chopped). 
Garlic crushed
1/2 cup
1 1/2 tsp
Homemade tomato purée  
Ginger paste
1 1/2cup check notes below

1 tsp
Red chilly pd. 1 tsp
Turmeric pd. 1/4 tsp
Coriander pd. 1 tsp
Salt. To taste
Gram flour. 2   tsp
Sugar. 1/2 tsp
Water3/4 to 1 cup
 Oilfor frying
Chopped coriander1tbsp


Method:

  1. Wash okra and lay it on a kitchen towel to dry.
  2. When completely dry , cut it into 3 " pieces and then vertically into half.
  3. Heat oil for frying. Fry okra pieces till crispy. Keep on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
  4. Mix gram flour with 2 tbsp of water. 
  5. Add the gram flour paste to  tomato purée.
  6. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add asafoetida .
  7. Crackle mustard seeds.
  8. Add whole red chillies, curry leaves. Stir and add garlic and onions .
  9. Fry onions till golden pink.
  10. Add tomato purée and ginger paste. Cook till oil separates.
  11. Half way through add red chilly pd, turmeric pd and coriander pd. mix well.
  12. Once oil separates add salt , sugar and 3/4th  cup water and give it a boil.
  13. Now add fried okra and cover and cook for a couple of minutes, till all the flavours are absorbed by Okra. 
  14. Check the consistency of gravy, it should be slightly thick . If its very thick you can add some boiled water, and cook for a minute.
Adjust salt. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.

Note : 
Serve it with Biryani or Mint and coriander Pulao. For recipe of Pulao click here

No comments:

Post a Comment