Sunday, July 15, 2018

Khatte Aloo (Potatoes in tangy yogurt sauce)


While driving to Corbett, on the way we stopped at Bikanerwala. My husband as usual ordered Chole bhatura. I am a big fan of their Raj kachori but could not have it because of bad throat. Next best option seemed Puri Aloo. I was expecting tamatar wale Aloo but what I got instead was khatte Aloo. To be honest I was a tad disappointed because for me Puri is to be served with tamatar wale Aloo. 
But one bite and I was doing happy dance. They were so tasty. While gorging on them I realized that I had not made these at home since ages. 
So first thing I did on coming back home was to make khatte Aloo. 
To get the perfect taste it's essential to use really sour yogurt but in-case you don't have it then use lemon juice as per taste. 



Ingredients

Potatoes.                 5 medium sized
Sour yogurt.           200 gms (3/4 cup)
Tomato.                 1 medium
Mustard oil.           1 tbsp
Mustard seeds.       1/2 tsp 
Cumin seeds.         1/2 tsp
Green Chilli.          1 tsp finely chopped
Ginger                    1 tsp grated
Red chilli.              1 whole
Asaefotida.             a pinch
Red chili pd.           1/2 tsp
Turmeric pd.           1 tsp
Coriander pd.            2 tsp
Garam masala.           1/4 tsp
Chopped coriander     1 tbsp
Salt.                             to taste.
Water.                          1 cup +2 tbsp


Method

Wash and boil potatoes.
Peel and chop into slightly big cubes.
Grind the tomato.
Blend yogurt, tomato puree, chilli pd, Turmeric pd, coriander pd and salt.
Mix in 2 tbsp of hot water to the above mixture. 
Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
Add Asaefotida and mustard seeds.
Once they crackle, add Cumin seeds, green chili and red chilli.
Stir, after a few seconds add ginger and stir again.
Now pour the yogurt mixture stirring all the time.
Once you see bubbles on the sides, add 1 cup of water.
Keep stirring till it comes to a boil.
Now add potatoes and let it cook on medium slow for five minutes.
Adjust the gravy. I like it thick. 
Mix in Garam masala and chopped coriander.
Taste and adjust salt. 
Serve hot with roti or poori. 

No comments:

Post a Comment