Friday, December 28, 2018

Palak ka kapa

Last week I happened to be in Corbett . There I had a chance to sample a kumaoni dish called Palak ka kapa. I was blown away by the simple flavors of the dish. It is kind of soupy and can be paired with any bread. We had it with stuffed kulcha.
I was so impressed with the dish that I had to recreate it. Since I didn't get a chance to speak with the chef, I searched on  Google. There are various versions there. So I picked up a few hints and created my own version, which I would say was very close to what I had eaten at Corbett.
At home we enjoyed it with paratha and the leftover with sourdough bread.
I don't claim it to be authentic. In fact would love inputs from kumaoni cuisine experts. This is purely my version.
I have used rice flour to thicken it, you can use wheat flour or besan also. But I feel besan would give it a more kadhi kind of taste. It's best to make it in an iron pan or kadhai.
Please do try it. I promise you won't be disappointed.


Ingredients
Palak (spinach)     250 gms
Onion                      1 medium finely sliced
Rice flour                1 tbsp
Whole red chili      2
Mustard oil             2 tbsp
Asaefotida               a pinch
Cumin seeds           1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds    a pinch
Red chili pd             1/4 tsp
Salt                            to taste
Water                        2 cups
Lemon juice             2 tsp

Method
  • Wash palak. Chop it very fine.
  • Heat oil in a sauce pan.
  • Add Asaefotida, Cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, whole red chill.
  • Once seeds crackle add onions.
  • Saute onions till light golden.
  • Add rice flour and saute till it turns slightly brown. 
  • Now add red chili pd and stir.
  • Quickly tip in palak. Saute for a couple of minutes minute.
  • Add salt and one cup water.
  • Cook till palak is done. Donot over cook else palak will lose its color. 
  • Now take some of it and whizz it in the food processor. 
  • Tip it back in the sauce pan, add remaining one cup water. 
  • Boil it till you get a slightly thick but soupy consistency. 
  • Switch of the flame. 
  • Add lemon  juice. Taste and adjust seasoning. 
  • Serve hot. 
  • Lemon juice is completely optional but that's how I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment